The season of pumpkin soup, scary movies and trick or treating is upon us already. Are you ready for a Spooktacular Halloween 2019?
Halloween Fun Facts:
Celebrated annually on the 31st October, Halloween has now become a huge traditional celebration. Although originally popularised by America, it is the second highest grossing event after Christmas.
Whilst parents are now decorating their homes in cobwebs, children pick their favourite, scariest costume and TV channels prepare to air the traditional horror films, to some, Halloween is one of the best times of the year!
Facts about October 31st:
- Halloween started as a pre-Christian Celtic festival called Samhain, which means summer’s end
- The first Jack O’Lanterns were actually made from turnips not pumpkins!
- ‘Halloween’ is short for ‘Hallows’ Eve’ or ‘Hallows’ Evening,’ which was the evening before All Hallows’
- According to tradition, if a person wears his or her clothes inside out and then walks backwards on Halloween, he or she will see a witch at midnight
- The famous magician Harry Houdini died on October 31, 1926
- Halloween is thought to have originated around 4000 B.C., which means Halloween has been around for over 6,000 years
- A child born on Halloween is said to have the ability to talk to spirits
- Pumpkins are classified as a fruit, not a vegetable
- The film Halloween was filmed in just 21 days
- New York City throws the biggest Halloween parade in America
- Apple Bobbing
- Pumpkin Carving
- Dressing Up
- Watching Horror Films
- Telling Scary Stories
- Going Trick or Treating
- Visiting Haunted Attractions
Best Places to Visit Halloween 2019
Do you have something planned for Halloween or the weekend that follows it? If not, there’s plenty going on to enjoy. Here’s our guide to the best of Halloween 2019…
1.Alton Towers Scarefest
The Staffordshire theme park holds it’s traditional Scarefest annually, throughout dates in October and November. Their Halloween Spooktacular and Spine-Tingling Terror continues to attract thousands of visitors every year and is perfect for all age groups.
Find out more by visiting their website.
2. Warwick Castle
The ‘Haunted Castle’ has an array of daytime and evening events on this Halloween, all of which are specifically aimed at different age groups. They have Plucky Pumpkins for 0-9 year olds; Daring Dukes for 10-12s; and Brave Knights for 12 years+. Junior ghost hunts, paranormal encounters, the witches tower and the dead knight all look set to make this an event not to be missed.
CLICK HERE to find out more.
3. Wonderland, Telford
The magical world of Wonderland is a popular choice for families during Halloween. Their Halloween events include a separate day event for younger children and an evening event for older siblings. The event has proved extremely popular with families over the last few years, meaning you have to book tickets and time slots in advance.
All children are encouraged to dress up in their costumes; play trick or trick around the houses and collect spooky gifts on their way round.
4. Weston Park, Halloween Horrors
As it’s half-term next week, there’s plenty going on at Western Park to fill the days. From Saturday 26th October, you can visit Temple Wood and the Woodland Adventure Playground to carve pumpkins, follow a spooky trail and get creative. Visit their website to find out more.
5. Spookley Pumpkin Festival, Apley Farm Shop
Apley Farm Shop’s Spookley Pumpkin Festival runs throughout selected weekends in October and is the perfect chance to spend some quality time with the family. During they day you can ride the Pumpkin Express, hear the spookly story and pick your own pumpkin from the field. Then, you can take it back to the carving cavern and spend time in the playbarn.
Other nearby events:
- Legoland Discovery Centre, Birmingham
- The Rocky Horror Show, Wolverhampton Grand Theatre
- Halloween Spooktacular, Cadbury World
- West Midlands Safari Park
- Ghost Trains, Severn Valley Railway
***Don’t forget, there are also plenty of Halloween parties and discos on at local pubs and restaurants, soft play areas and social clubs over the next couple of weekends. So, don’t miss out!!!
Need a Vehicle?
Whatever you have planned over the autumnal and festive period, SSH SelfDrive have a wide range of vehicles and services to offer. From one day self-drive hire, mini bus hire or longer leasing options, call us on 01952 427770 or contact us online. Don’t forget, we have offices in both Telford and Stafford and we can deliver your vehicle all across the UK.